Sunday, September 22, 2013

Progress on bed and curtains

Lots of progress was done this week

I cannot complain about my progress this week, I constructed my curtains without any sewing issues.  My husband found enough left over lumber from projects past to construct my bed.

A partial van curtain fail

After my initial success with the construction of the curtains, I pondered for a long time concerning how to hang them in the van without doing any drilling or permanent installs since my van has side curtain airbags.  I originally bought various sized 3M command hooks thinking that this would fit the bill nicely.  However, I don't think there is one plastic surface in my van that has a flat face. What I failed to consider was that the adhesive needs a completely flat surface to perform the job correctly.  

Too bad, the curtains look good up

Front privacy van curtains for camping
Front privacy curtains

Until the adhesive started to fail, causing my curtains to fall either as I was placing them on the hooks or shortly after hanging for a bit.


Meanwhile, in the man-cave

The bed is coming together nicely.  My husband scrounged up enough left-over lumber from past projects to start the bed build. 
van bed construction - top
Top of the van bed cot

My husband built a sturdy platform that I will top with a 4-inch memory foam mattress topper.

van bed construction - bottom
Bottom of the van bed cot - look at that sturdy platform


The final bed size will be 30 inches wide, 70 inches long, and 16.5 inches high.  I found four nice sized storage bins that will fit under the bed.

van bed construction - legs
Bed legs clamped into place

van bed construction - finished
Bed - almost done
 The plan is to put some 1x1 or something to act as a leg brace, which will theoretically keep the storage bins in and provide additional stability to the legs.  I also need to cover the platform with some kind of material.

 

More trips to Walmart and Home Depot in my future

I need to get a staple gun, a drop cloth, foam mattress topper, bed sheets, fleece blankets, comforter, and some miscellaneous camping gear for my trial run.

Trial Run date is set - I still have enough shopping days

I plan on going out to a local state park in two weeks for a short trial run to see what kinks need to be worked out.

I have a plan B in the works for privacy shades.  Currently, materials are in route from Amazon's warehouses to my front door.  I hope plan B works otherwise I may be stretching my creativity to come up with a plan C.


5 comments:

  1. oh the privacy curtains... as I wrote I do the fuzzy material and pop 'em on the little velcro patches.

    For the front? I got black sheets and put them over the front visors ~ I used safety pins to secure if necessary to the roof ... this gave me more room. I could utilize the front seats.

    The unevenness drove me insane~ the floor s well.

    The material cut to fit the windows and stuck with velcro was after many trial and errors. It gave me more space as well ease with putting them up.

    WOW ... your bed is going to be wonderful! oh, to have a husband that does that... outstanding ;)

    Two weeks... can't wait to see how everything comes together. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn,

    Yes, my husband earns good annual reviews from me. :) I am very fortunate.

    Where did you get the fuzzy black material? Was it the fuzzy felt? How did you stick the Velcro to your interior? Did you get the self-adhesive type?

    I will head out to the fabric store after work at some point this week then. I really want a simple solution to this window covering problem. Your solution sounds easy to put up and take down. :)

    I am thinking of getting an area rug for the inside of my van to help compensate for the unevenness. This will drive me insane too. I plan to remove all but the two front seats to give myself more space to move about. I'll keep posting my results here.

    Thanks for your comments, you are very big help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't remember where I got it. I tried gluing the velcro to several types of fabric ... never stuck. doesn't like to stick to the vinyl or plastic or whatever is inside.

    the ribbed side is what I used ... I wrote all this in that old long post I wrote to the group... if you still have access.

    the glass is the best place to adhere the velcro backing as close to the edge as you can for total privacy.

    it isn't felt... that just doesn't work... let me see, I think I found an official website that sold this ... I think I bookmarked it.

    ha! found it...
    http://www.augresources.com/vindex.html?cat55.htm

    best thing I found ... the windows were all so odd shaped. soooo easy to just grab 'em and stick 'em on in a nanosecond.

    I've got you bookmarked on my blog so I can see when you update! ;) exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still getting stuff out of Homer (van) I wanted the rugs I had in there in the house.

      Area rugs work great. BUT those steel hoops that held the seats on are murder when you step on them even with a thick rug.

      I finally got foam to put over and under the loops. THEN put a rug over that ~ thick rubber bath mat ... then the area rug.

      amazing how those loops managed to be so hard! can't help but keep commenting, I'm excited for you especially in a van like Homer.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ruth!

    Glad you made it over to my blog to comment! I've put you on my blog list so I don't miss any exciting developments.

    I think what you are doing is sensational. I'll follow along with great interest. Yes, maybe we can meet up!

    ReplyDelete