Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Privacy Curtains for a Minivan with No Drilling

Updates on the privacy curtains:

 Creepers don't really make the scenic areas any prettier

One of the first issues I had was how to keep the creepers from peeking in at me while I am enjoying my home away from home.  Enter the idea of curtains.  Novel enough idea, I think.

Unlike those vandwellers that will be full-timers, I don't need stealth ability.  I plan on being in campgrounds, family member's driveways, or free overnight camping areas.  I just need to keep the curious from looking in while camping.

My goal is to affix the curtains in such a manner as to not have to drill into any part of my interior.

Walmart and my trusty sewing machine to the rescue

I went to Walmart yesterday after work to acquire some flat sheets, curtain rods, and 3M Command small hooks.
3M command hooks will hold up my curtain rods without damaging my interior

Five hours later and the curtains are done

I decide to get a nice pattern sheet for the interior portion of the curtains and a grey sheet for the public facing.  I sew the wrongs side together up the length, cut in half width-wise, sew raw ends together, flip right-side out, sew a hem, and flip top part down.  I measure 3 inches from the fold-line and sew a straight line.  I then measure 4.5 inches from the fold-line and sew another straight line.  5 more times I repeat this process to get all the curtains made.

Better is the enemy of good enough

The curtains aren't perfect, but they will do.  I have to revisit the types of curtain rods I am using.  Originally, I planned to use short rods for each of the side windows.  After putting up the first two side curtains, I realize that one long rod would be better.  Also, I probably need to go with bigger sized hooks and rods for the back and front curtains as they will be heavier and the small hooks just won't hold.  I hope I can find medium or large like the small because I like how they pivot and allows for creative placement of the sticky surface while having the hook be where I need it to be.

Photos to come

I am barely focused enough to get this blog up and started.  I will post photos after this weekend when I hope to have the cot frame well on the way to completion.

Programming note

My goal is to post a weekly update on Sunday to detail projects in progress or completed.  Once I start making trial runs, I will post trip reports as well.

Things are starting to get interesting.  I already have a trip planned for Thanksgiving week.



5 comments:

  1. I think I will try to find the materials for curtains, hooks and rods when I get home in a few more weeks. I could probably use them camping in the southwest, but if the rain and cold hold off I will be able to tent. Thanks for the ideas and I look forward to hearing more, plus pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are on the ball here Ruth. Will follow along. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi JO and Gypsy. Thank you so much for leaving me comments.

    I will post photos and more detailed instructions of how I constructed the curtains. My husband saw them and said that we could use some for our bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I checked in ;) be fun following you along... Hi Jo and Gypsy ;)

    oh, lord word verification ... ok second try ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn - I took care of the word verification - I didn't realize that was default. :(

    Thanks for your note.

    ReplyDelete